Dear customers, families and friends,
Firstly, thank you for your support with all of the measures that we have implemented to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been pleased that our customers, their families and friends have followed the visitor guidelines to ensure that everyone stayed safe.
In South Australia, and across the country, restrictions are slowly being eased as infection rates of COVID-19 remain relatively low. We recognise that the changing nature of this pandemic has been challenging for all of our customers, their families and their friends. We hope that through the use of technology, and our recent easing of restrictions on visitors in our customers’ homes, that you have been able to stay connected with your loved ones.
A new update about visitors in customers’ homes
In line with State and Federal Government guidelines and advice, we are continuing to review our approach to visits. From this Saturday, we will be further easing conditions on visitors to Supported Independent Living (SIL) homes. These conditions will continue to be reviewed, and we will continue to communicate with you about any changes.
From Saturday, June 20, the following will apply to visits to your loved one’s home:
- You do not need to make a booking to visit.
- Visits can now be up to two hours. Please let a staff member at the service know that you are leaving so that you can be signed out.
- Both adults and children will now be able to visit their loved ones, providing they are well and complete a COVID-19 health checklist on arrival.
- We ask that you continue to meet in your loved one’s bedroom, and keep time spent in common areas, such as kitchens and living areas to a minimum.
- If you would like to go for a walk with your loved one, or sit outside in a communal area, please let the staff at the home know when you arrive. Staff will work with you to support this, including social distancing.
- Please continue to maintain social distancing with your loved one and other customers who share their home.
- No large group visits or gatherings, including social activities, are permitted at this time.
Entry process for all visitors
As previously, all visitors will be required to:
- Complete a health screening COVID-19 checklist prior to entry.
- Wash or sanitise hands when entering and leaving the home.
- Cooperate with social distancing guidelines at all times, including maintaining a distance of 1.5 metres from all staff and residents in the home.
- Stay home if they feel unwell, so as to not put their loved ones, other customers and staff at risk of the spread of illness and infection.
If you fall under ANY of the following categories, please do not visit:
- If you have returned from outside of South Australia in the last 14 days
- Been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Have returned a positive COVID-19 test result in the last 14 days
- If you have been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting the result of your test
- Have a fever or any (even mild) symptoms of acute respiratory infection such as cough, shortness of breath or runny nose
- Have experienced a loss of your sense of taste and smell and/or fever, night sweats and or chills over the last 14 days.
Preventing the spread of preventable illness at Cara
We continue to encourage everyone in our Cara Community – our staff, customers, their family and friends – to be vaccinated against the flu. Thank you to those of you who have had a flu vaccination. You are doing your part to prevent the spread of preventable illness in our community. We recognise that our customers, children and adults with disability, are particularly vulnerable to infection.
This year, it is more important than ever to get a flu vaccination as soon as possible. The Australian Government is urging everyone (aged six months and over) to get the flu vaccine as soon as possible.
Thank you for your support
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to talk to your Team Leader or contact Cara Connect on 08 8347 4588.
At Cara, the health and wellbeing of our customers and our staff remains our greatest priority. Again, thank you for your ongoing support of the processes that we have had in place to keep our community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.