Your life, your home, your way

Supported Independent Living

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is the support you need to live as independently as possible.

SIL is funded by the NDIS and Cara is a leading provider of SIL in South Australia.

We work alongside adults with disability in Adelaide and the suburbs, the Adelaide Hills, Kadina, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln and Port Pirie.

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) provider support

The house, unit or apartment where you choose to live is your choice. It might be your own home, a Housing SA property, a private rental or a home managed by a community housing association, like Access 2 Place, Julia Farr Housing and Unity Housing.

You, as the tenant, sign the rental agreement with the housing provider. Cara’s SIL supports provide the staff to work alongside you and we work with your housing provider where needed.

We live and breathe active support

Active Support means Cara’s staff do things with you, not for you or to you. You are involved in as much of the support as you like.

SIL support is customised to what you need. Staff will work with you for support including:

Connections with loved ones and community

Emotional support

Personal care


Cleaning and household chores


Cara is person centred

This means we get to know you as an individual, your likes and dislikes, how you like to be supported and what your goals and dreams are, both big and small.

Cara provides professional, qualified and dedicated staff to work alongside you in your home. We do our best to match you with Cara staff and agency staff who you get along with.


An Exploring Housing option in your NDIS plan


An Exploring Housing report from an expert like an occupational therapist.

How do you move in with Cara?

Our staff of Possible People will work with you to find the right house, unit or apartment for your wishes and needs. We will also look at any other people who will be living in the share house with you, or as your neighbours in units or aparments.

We need find people who have the right mix of support needs, who will be well-suited to each other and will enjoy living with each other or being neighbours.

Want to talk with someone?

Our friendly Cara Connect team is here to answer any of your questions.

Phone 08 8347 4588 and ask for Cara Connect
Or email

Want to see what’s currently available?

We list our Supported Independent Living vacancies on two different sources.

Nest Logo


Nest is a free national database run by our Ability First Australia colleagues Northcott. You can search for properties in your preferred location that may be suited to your needs. You need to register and log in to see room details, save your searches or apply. Visit

The Housing Hub

The Housing Hub is run by The Summer Foundation, who are working to stop people from being forced to live in Residential Aged Care because there is nowhere else for them to go. Visit

Independent Living Options

Known as as ILOs, Independent Living Options can offer more flexibility and independence

The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) sets out four examples which you may wish to explore>

Living alone – you live in your own home and you have support which includes regular paid support workers, workers who can support you at short notice, workers on standby and informal supports from friends and family. 

Living together – you share your house with another person, or other people, with whom you have exisiting relationships, eg an intimate partner, a family member or a friend. These people may or may not have a a disability. Your flexible NDIS packages may allow for shared supports or may also allow paying household members to support you. 

Co-resident – you live in your own home with a person who provides regular support to you as well as friendship and companionship. This person may negotiate a reduced rent or a payment. 

Host arrangements – living with a person or a family in thier home. They will share their lives with you and provide disability-related supports, emotional support, and include you in their family life. They will receive a payment from your NDIS plan and a Board and Lodging payment from your Disability Support Pension. 

Cara can work with you to explore an ILO that’s right for you. Together, we will work out an agreement that is signed by everyone involved in the ILO. 


Using your NDIS Funding

Supported Independent Living is funded under “Core Supports” with the support category “Assistance with daily life”.


Customer Testimonial

I’ve been living with Cara for about four years, since I was 26. My parents worked out for me to come to Cara.

I like the staff because they are always nice to me. They help me with cleaning, help me with cooking and they take me out bowling and stuff.

I like going out, (Cara staff) take me to the bank and shopping.

I like my house because it’s not far from work. I work at Minda and I pack stuff like wine and dog treats.

I go to church on a Sunday with friends.

I love bowling. I bowl three days a week but I want some more support, someone to work with me on a Saturday and take me bowling. I’m a good bowler, you know.

(If you wanted to know about Cara, Andrew would say) They are nice people, they will make you happy. I say that’s good.

Andrew, SIL customer and passionate bowler

For Adults

Stay in Short Term Accommodation (Respite), take a break at Farm Stay or discover new places with Getaways. 

For Children & Teenagers

Stay in Short Term Accommodation (Respite), explore and adventure on Camps for Kids or spend a day at Kids Club.